Thursday, January 29, 2009

Food for Thought

I sat down tonight to get some reading done and realized I didn't have enough room on my desk to place the small, concise Delpit book. I started going through the massive amounts of readings/handouts from last semester that had migrated to the top of my desk and came across this definition of a quality teacher:

"I don't think you can think of a quality teacher absent student learning. I'm being careful of what I'm saying here. I'm not saying "achievement" just simply because people read achievement as test scores. That's not what I'm talking about. If the kids aren't really learning anything, how can you be highly qualified? That has got to be an ultimate goal of the [teaching] enterprise- that students come out able to solve problems, able to make decisions, able to critically analyze their environments. If that's not happening I really don't care what your certificate says."
-Gloria Ladson-Billings, 2005

Conclusion to this post: How do you follow that?

No comments:

Post a Comment